The Temple, St Mary Cray, c. 1900

The Temple, St Mary Cray, Cray Valley, c. 1900

Built in 1851 by William Joynson, the Temple was a good example of a Victorian non-conformist chapel. Moffat Hall, on the left, was added in 1891.

Damaged during the war, in 1954 the sad decision was made to demolish the church, rather than restore it and the building was replaced.

The church was demolished and replaced by a new building, which opened in November 1955.

The image on the right - click to enlarge - is from the Kentish Times, which reported both the demolition of the old church and the opening of the new.


A Reader Comments:

The Moffat hall and the Temple Lodge were not demolished but restored and stand to this day. More details can be found at our website

Contributed by: Eddie Boon (Minister)

Copyright: The Temple United Reformed Church.

See historic maps of Cray Valley